The Memorial Wall

Colin Powell

Colin Powell

April 5, 1937 - October 18, 2021

Powell, who was being treated for multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body's immune response, as well as Parkinson's, died from complications of COVID-19 on October 18, 2021.

Colin Luther Powell was an American politician, diplomat, statesman, and four-star general who served as the 65th United States Secretary of State from 2001 to 2005. He was the first African American Secretary of State. Prior to the election of Barack Obama as president in 2008, he and his successor, Condoleezza Rice, were the highest-ranking African Americans in federal executive branch history (by virtue of the Secretary of State standing fourth in the presidential line of succession). He served as the 16th United States National Security Advisor from 1987 to 1989 and as the 12th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1989 to 1993.

Powell was born in New York City in 1937 and was raised in the South Bronx. His parents, Luther and Maud Powell, immigrated to the United States from Jamaica. He was educated in the New York City public schools, graduating from the City College of New York (CCNY), where he earned a bachelor's degree in geology. He also participated in ROTC at CCNY and received a commission as an Army second lieutenant upon graduation in June 1958. He was a professional soldier for 35 years, during which time he held many command and staff positions and rose to the rank of four-star general. He was Commander of the U.S. Army Forces Command in 1989.

Powell's last assignment, from October 1989 to September 1993, was as the 12th chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest military position in the Department of Defense. During this time, he oversaw 28 crises, including the invasion of Panama in 1989 and Operation Desert Storm in the Persian Gulf War against Iraq in 1990–1991. He formulated the Powell Doctrine which limits American military action unless it satisfies criteria regarding American national security interests, overwhelming force, and widespread public support.  He was the 65th United States Secretary of State, serving under Republican President George W. Bush. His term was highly controversial regarding his inaccurate justification for America's Iraq War in 2003. He was forced to resign after Bush was reelected in 2004.

In 1995, Powell wrote his autobiography, My American Journey, and then in retirement another book, It Worked for Me, Lessons in Life and Leadership (2012). He pursued a career as a public speaker, addressing audiences across the country and abroad. Prior to his appointment as Secretary of State, Powell was the chairman of America's Promise – The Alliance for Youth, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to mobilizing people from every sector of American life to build the character and competence of young people. He won numerous U.S. and foreign military awards and decorations. His civilian awards included the Presidential Medal of Freedom (twice), the Congressional Gold Medal, the Presidential Citizens Medal, the Secretary of State Distinguished Service Medal, and the Secretary of Energy Distinguished Service Medal. Several schools and other institutions were named in his honor, and he held honorary degrees from universities and colleges across the country. In 2016, while not a candidate for that year's election, he received three electoral votes from Washington for the office of President of the United States.

While in the service, Mr. Powell met Alma Vivian Johnson on a blind date, and they married in August 1962. In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Linda Powell and Anne Powell Lyons; a son, Michael, who served as chairman of the Federal Communications Commission; and four grandchildren. He lived in McLean, Va.

Remembering Colin Powell

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Myrna A. Binderman

Myrna A. Binderman

September 21, 1941 - October 18, 2021

Myrna Ann Binderman passed away peacefully of Parkinson's Disease. At her side were her husband of 57 yrs. Philip Binderman and daughter Rachel McCutchen. Myrna is survived by 2 grandchildren, Nathan and Charlotte and son-in-law, Thomas McCutchen. Myrna was born in Nashville, TN. She received a BA and teaching credential from San Diego State University. She and Phil were married in 1964. Myrna was a teacher with Saugus Unified District for 34 yrs. until her retirement in 2004. Funeral services will be on Oct. 21st, 3 Mt. Sinai Park, Simi, Valley CA, 93063

Remembering Myrna A. Binderman

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.



August 4, 1941 - October 17, 2021

Margaret "Peggy" York, whose law enforcement career spanned 44 years and made her once the highest ranking woman in the Los Angeles Police Department, was born in August 1941 to Ralph and Hazel Mandley of Minerva, Ohio, where she enjoyed the benefits of living in farm country. She slipped into the loving arms of Jesus on October 17, 2021 at the age of 80 in Los Angeles.

At the age of 13 her family moved to the greater Los Angeles area where she would attend Lynwood High School and find employment as the Easter Bunny at the May Company downtown. Her marriage to Donald York yielded her three treasured children: David, Dennis and Cynthia. Upon her divorce Peggy sought work to support her family and was hired as a civilian Radio Telephone Operator with the LAPD in 1965 and in 1968 began her police career as a Policewoman, working her way thru the ranks and in 2000 becoming the first woman Deputy Chief in the history of the LAPD, responsible for police operations in the heart of the city including five police stations, a traffic division and 2000 employees. She was part of the first ever all woman homicide detective team in 1979, partnering with Det. Helen Kidder. The groundbreaking TV series "Cagney & Lacey" was influenced by their stellar work.

Peggy was proud to be one of the pioneering women who changed the face of law enforcement. While women once served only in limited roles, all ranks and assignments are open to women today.

In 2003 Peggy became Chief of the Los Angeles County Office of Public Safety, a specialized police agency responsible for County facilities, parks and hospitals. With 600 sworn officers and 750 contracted security guards it was the County's fourth largest police agency. She retired from that position in 2009

Peggy earned her BA in Management from the University of Redlands and her MA in Public Administration with Honors from USC. She was a graduate of the LAPD Academy and FBI National Academy Class 159.

Peggy's private life reflected her commitment to public service and her compassion for those less fortunate, serving more than two decades as a member and past chair of the Metro Los Angeles Advisory Board of the Salvation Army and the founder of Friends of Maneadero, a Salvation Army women's shelter in Baja California. She served as a director of the Rotary Club of Los Angeles and chaired the Childrens' Court Committee and served on the boards of Women Against Gun Violence, The Trusteeship and the Los Angeles Police Museum where she served as Chair of the Chief's Circle.

Peggy was grateful to have been raised in a family of believers. Her iPhone ringtone is the children's hymn "Jesus Loves Me." She approached her daily Bible reading joyously and was a long time member of Lake Avenue Church in Pasadena.

In 2018 Peggy became a published poet with three of her poems featured in ONTHEBUS, a popular literary journal. In her retirement she had two passions: her writing and her friends from her childhood in Ohio, high school in Lynwood, the LAPD, LA5 Rotary and her besties: The Pooligans.

Peggy was preceeded in death by father Ralph, mother Hazel, brother Lee and grandson Richard Rickords. She is survived by her heartbroken and lost husband of 40 years, Judge Lance Ito whom she met at 3 o'clock in the morning at a homicide crime scene and married 336 days later. She is also survived by brothers Gregory Mandley (Barbara) and Jeff Mandley (Corinne), sons David York (Maureen), Dennis York (Meeran) and daughter Cynthia York Shadian (Isaac), as well as treasured grandchildren Justin York, Dominique York, Jessica Shadian, Devin York, Abraham Shadian, Allison Shadian and Sean York, plus great grandchildren Ainsley Shadian-Smith and newly arrived Leilani Shadian.

The family thanks Dr. Cleo Williams, the doctors, nurses and staff at Methodist SoCal and Keck USC, LAPD Chief Michel Moore and Commander Ruby Flores, and our friends at PRG.

Peggy led and lived by example, always looking to transform lives. She did just that in the 22 years she served on the LA Metro Advisory Board for The Salvation Army.


Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Peter Kugel

Peter Kugel

January 1, 1930 - October 11, 2021

Retired Professor Peter Kugel, a long-time member and former chair of the Computer Science Department who devoted much thought to the human dimension of computer technology, died on October 11, 2021. He was 91.

Befitting a scholar with a doctorate in philosophy from Harvard University who had worked in the software industry and at MIT before coming to Boston College in 1974, Dr. Kugel focused his research on the connections between human intelligence, logic, and computability. He summed up these interests in an abstract for a 2009 article: “I believe the human mind can evaluate functions so uncomputable that no machine, not even a hypercomputer, can compute them. But I believe that computers can evaluate such functions, too, because computers, like minds, have other ways to evaluate functions that go beyond computing. If we allow them to use these ways—or, as I shall put it, to uncompute—they may be able to do things that only minds can do well today.”

Earlier in his career, Dr. Kugel published an influential article on studying the process of induction—“by which we reason from the particular to the general”—using ideas from the theory of abstract machines and recursion theory. Another article offered suggestions on developing precise accounts of cognitive processes that could be modelled on computers.

He also was interested in how college teachers develop as teachers, and in 1989 published an op-ed piece in The New York Times that explained how bringing a cup of coffee to class helped him create a better rapport with his students.

“My pauses, as I sipped, not only gave my students time to think about what I had said, but gave me time to think about what I was going to say next,” he wrote. “I began to use my pauses to look around the room to see how my students were reacting to what I had just said. When I saw their attention wander, I tried to bring them back. When I saw them puzzled over some concept that I thought I had explained, I gave another example. My lectures became less organized and less brilliant, but my students seemed to understand me better. And my courses became more popular.”

Interviewed in 1989 by the Boston College Biweekly, Dr. Kugel—then the Computer Science chair—discussed how he and his colleagues made sure that the knowledge they passed along to their students was put to use.

“In computer science, you learn to do something by doing. We don’t simply lecture. We give students at least one assignment a week they must complete. And it’s not like doing an essay; a program has to work before your job is done.”

Dr. Kugel retired in 2005, but continued to write, teach, and learn. Among other activities, he took courses at the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement, where he taught a class titled “Vision and Art.”

A tribute posted on the Computer Science website recalled Dr. Kugel for “his wide-ranging interests and for his humor. He was an exceptional colleague and an especially generous mentor to both students and junior faculty colleagues.”

Dr. Kugel is survived by his wife, Judy, and sons Jeremy and Seth, who were all at his bedside when he died.

University Communications | January 2022

Remembering Peter Kugel

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.



January 24, 1933 - October 7, 2021

With profound sadness, we announce the passing of Dr. Robert George Grossman. As the most loving husband, father, father-in-law and grandfather in the universe, he was our North Star, our compass forward. We are grieving deeply as a family. We are also filled with gratitude for the life he led and the legacy he leaves.

Born on January 24, 1933, in The Bronx, New York, Dr. Grossman is preceded in death by his parents, Dr. Ferenc Grossman and Vivian Eisenberg Grossman. Dr. Grossman was an only child and was adored by his parents who were both immigrants to the United States. Ferenc, who was born in Hungary, was a family practice doctor, and Vivian, who was born in Lithuania, was a grade schoolteacher. Together, they believed that hard work and caring for others were traits to live by and they were successful in their new country. Ferenc and Vivian's greatest love was for their son, and they nurtured Dr. Grossman's interests in science, math, poetry, literature, philosophy and classical music. Ferenc never refused a patient and would treat patients even if they could not afford to pay. In return, grateful families would leave baskets of eggs or bottles of milk on their doorstep. That legacy of caring for others made an indelible mark on Dr. Grossman, who made that a cornerstone of his life's work. Dr. Grossman would treat his patients with compassion and dignity, no matter who they were. He would also make house calls, taking his old school black doctor's bag to the homes of patients who needed help. He was a listener and had a calm and kind manner and would take the time to really hear what his patients were saying and then proceed to help them.

Dr. Grossman honored both his mother and father by becoming a practicing neurosurgeon and a professor. Dr. Grossman had a memorable and loving childhood in New York City and graduated from the Horace Mann School in 1949. He would recall many happy times growing up -- from once getting locked in the Bronx Zoo with a group of friends after dark to his Bar Mitzvah at age 13 and meeting his future wife, Ellin, when he was 16 years old, and she was just 15. It was absolute love at first sight and they were together from that moment on. They were married in 1955 at Ellin's parent's apartment on the Upper East Side and celebrated their 66th wedding anniversary this past June.

Dr. Grossman attended Swarthmore College and graduated in 1953 with a Bachelor of Arts degree with Honors in the Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Always intellectually curious, Dr. Grossman was just 16 years old when he started Swarthmore. Swarthmore held some of Dr. Grossman's fondest memories and he spent the rest of his life remarking on the positive impact the college had on him from best friends to a top-notch education.

Upon graduation, Dr. Grossman attended medical school in New York City and received his M.D., College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, in 1957. Next, Dr. Grossman completed his postgraduate training as an Intern in the surgical service at The University of Rochester, Strong Memorial in 1958.

Dr. Grossman then proudly served the United States of America as a Captain, Medical Corps, U.S.A.R., Department of Neurophysiology. For two years, from 1958 to 1960 Dr. Grossman worked at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Washington, D.C. in the Laboratory of Robert Galambos, M.D.

From 1960 to 1962, Dr. Grossman was a Resident and in 1963, he was Chief Resident, Department of Neurological Surgery, Neurological Institute of New York, at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center.

Upon finishing his residency in 1963, Dr. Grossman moved to Texas and accepted his first neurosurgical position as Associate Professor, Division of Neurological Surgery, at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. Dr. Grossman stayed there until 1968, becoming an instructor and then Assistant Professor. It was while he was at work at Parkland Hospital on November 22, 1963 that Dr. Grossman received a phone call to rush to Trauma Room One. President John F. Kennedy had been shot and Dr. Grossman, as one of the two neurosurgeons on staff, was summoned to attend the president.

In 1969, Dr. Grossman and his family moved back to New York where he was appointed Associate Professor and then Professor of Neurological Surgery, Department of Neurological Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York. And, in 1973, Dr. Grossman returned to Texas -- this time to Galveston -- to be the Professor of Surgery and Chief of the Division of Neurological Surgery. It was his first Chairmanship and Dr. Grossman was proud of the work accomplished in Galveston.

In 1980, Dr. Grossman was appointed Chairman, Department of Neurosurgery, The Methodist Hospital, in Houston, Texas. Additionally, Dr. Grossman was appointed the Chairman of Neurosurgery at Baylor College of Medicine from 1980 to 2005. Dr. Grossman remained the Chairman of Neurosurgery at The Methodist Hospital from 1980 to 2013 and has continued to be a Professor of Neurosurgery since 2013. Dr. Grossman was also the Founder and First Director, Neurological Institute, The Methodist Hospital in 2005.

In 2004, Dr. Grossman founded North American Clinical Trials Network (NACTN) for Spinal Cord Injury (SCI). NACTN's mission is to continually advance the quality of care and the quality of life of people with spinal cord injury through clinical trials of new therapy that provide strong evidence of safety and effectiveness.

Not many people make it to age 88 and still work, but Dr. Grossman's passion for advancing medicine never stopped. He was very proud that he was able to work his entire life and never retired. He believed with 24 hours in a day, much could be accomplished. And so he did.

Dr. Grossman had a keen interest in helping patients with epilepsy, traumatic brain injury, Parkinson's Disease, spinal cord injury and brain tumors. He made an impact in both helping patients as well as making scientific contributions in all of those neurological areas. From 1960 until 2012, Dr. Grossman performed more than 8,000 major neurosurgical operations.

It was common for Dr. Grossman to be at dinner or a grandchild's school event and have people walk over to say how much they appreciated his care for them or a family member. Those comments always brought him joy that he was able to help make a difference.

Dr. Grossman created his own filing system that became his signature: a stack of white index cards, wrapped in a green rubber band that he kept in the pocket of his white doctor's coat or the front of his button-down shirt. Dr. Grossman would keep detailed notes about his patients and would constantly add to the notes to ensure their care. And he also would keep notes on books he wanted to read, PBS shows to watch and notes about which friend was having a birthday, an anniversary, or a baby.

His dedication for training other doctors to become neurosurgeons was his calling. He was extremely proud of the fact that the neurosurgeons he trained and worked with are now among the leaders in the field in Houston and around the country. Dr. Grossman trained two percent of the neurosurgeons in the United States.

Additionally, Dr. Grossman had a keen interest in scientific research. He was a prolific writer, and wrote eight medical books, including Medical Neurobiology: Neuroanatomical and Neurophysiological Principles Basic to Clinical Neuroscience. Dr. Grossman also wrote 216 articles for scientific journals and chapters in 52 different medical textbooks.

Dr. Grossman served on the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Neurosurgery, Neurosurgery and World Neurosurgery. Additionally, he served as Chair, American Board of Neurological Surgeons and President of the Society of Neurological Surgeons. He was a member of the Christopher Reeve Foundation International Research Consortium Advisory Panel and helped guide their research program. In Houston, Dr. Grossman helped found the Houston chapter of the Epilepsy Association Texas and was involved with TIRR and the Houston Area Parkinson's Society.

Dr. Grossman was awarded many honors and some of his most cherished were accepting the Cushing Medal from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 2007, for service to Neurosurgery; and the Albert and Ellen Grass Foundation Prize and Medal from the Society of Neurological Surgeons, 1988, for continuous commitment to research in the neurosciences.

Outside of work, Dr. Grossman had numerous interests: photography, sundials, astronomy, sailing and fly fishing. He was a prolific reader and read everything from Greek and Roman classics to English poetry and mystery novels. Dr. Grossman was perennially cheerful, upbeat and a joy to be around. People would always remark that Dr. Grossman was a true gentleman -- and his calm, reassuring demeanor are going to be missed.

And even though he was so proud of his professional accomplishments, Dr. Grossman was even more proud of his family. And it all started with Ellin. Theirs was a love story that knew no bounds. They were inseparable and devoted to one another.

Together, they traveled the world from France to Israel, Japan to Scotland, Egypt to Italy and beyond. They built a vacation home in Santa Fe, New Mexico that became their happy place, their true sanctuary. In Santa Fe, they would hike, birdwatch, eat, look at the stars, visit the library and the museums and enjoy friendships and camaraderie. At home in Houston, they and would attend productions of the Gilbert and Sullivan society, Alley Theater and the Houston Grand Opera among others. They would read books, exercise, and spend time with dear friends and family. They also had two wonderful Westie dogs that they loved and they also treasured their involvement with the West Highland White Terrier Club of Southeast Texas.

Dr. Grossman was always so proud of his family, who will forever love him. He is survived by the love of his life, Ellin and their children and grandchildren: Dr. Amy Coburn and husband Dr. Michael Coburn, along with their son Jeff Coburn and daughter Laura Coburn; daughter Kate Rose along with her son Joel Gottsegen and her daughter Claire Gottsegen; and daughter Jennifer Oakley and husband Bruce Oakley along with their children Jessica Sosa and her husband Jonathan Sosa, Sarah Oakley, Connor Albert, Paige Albert and William Robert Oakley, who was named after Dr. Grossman.

His nine grandchildren named him "Grumpy" -- which they all thought was funny because it was the furthest thing from the truth. He loved his grandchildren with all his heart and was always a source of information, someone to talk to and learn from and the creator of memorable times. The annual Grandchildren's New Year's Eve sleepovers are cherished memories. If a grandchild said they were interested in geology, a geode would be given to them. If they said they liked music, he would give them CDs of Mozart; if they were interested in geography, he would give them a globe. If they were interested in animals, he took them to the Galapagos Island. In truth, he was giving them the world. And they all knew it.

Dr. Grossman cared about people. He had the ability to make everyone feel special -- but that is because he really did think they were. For his family, he wasn't just working at his job, he was demonstrating how waking up early and going strong all day long allows you to get more out of each day; when he was given an award from TIRR just a few years ago, he accepted it with gratitude and then said "I still have much work to do." In his medical research, he was not just working to help try and find a cure for spinal cord paralysis but he was teaching his grandkids to think about others, to help those in need, to try and go further and search for solutions where none yet exist. When he used to go the grandchildren's schools to give a lecture about how the brain works, he was not talking about himself and his accomplishments, he was demonstrating how to be curious and to give back to others through selfless service. He believed helping and teaching others is a key to life. And, when he woke up every morning singing and telling Ellin that he loved her, he was teaching our family how to find joy and care for a spouse.

We don't know who revolves around whom in our family but we tend to think we all revolved around Dr. Grossman. It's no wonder that Dr. Grossman was fascinated by the cosmos, because in our family, simply put, he hung the moon.

As a family, we would like to thank Dr. Grossman's close friends and colleagues who helped care for him. It is a sad irony that a man whose life was devoted to the study of neurological diseases was confronted with Parkinson's Disease. Like everything else in his life, Dr. Grossman faced it bravely, squarely and gracefully. Dr. Grossman's medical team of Dr. Robert Jackson, Dr. Al Raizner and Dr. Eugene Lai were unparalleled in their expert care.



Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Joel Dwight Janzen

Joel Dwight Janzen

April 22, 1938 - October 7, 2021

Joel Dwight Janzen passed away peacefully in his home on Thursday, October 7 with his wife Lucille by his side. Joel was born to Frank and Marian (Regier) Janzen in Hillsboro, Kansas on April 22, 1938. He lived in Hillsboro until he went to college. He received his degree in Mathematics at Emporia State University in Emporia, Kansas. He received his Masters degree in Guidance Counseling at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas.

On August 25, 1959, he married Lucille Klaassen, also of Hillsboro, Kansas. They were married for 62 happy and adventurous years. In 1961, Joel and Lucille moved to Lawrence Kansas, where he taught math at West Junior High.

In 1966, Joel answered the call to teach in Africa. Joel, Luci and children Julie and Greg left Lawrence and Joel spent the next 4 years teaching and counseling in the Congo at The American School of Kinshasa. Daughter Jane was born in Kinshasa before they returned to the United States, this time to settle in Tacoma, Washington. Their fourth child, Emily, was born in Tacoma.

Joel was hired as a counselor at Hunt Junior High in Tacoma in 1970. Joel had caught the Travel Bug, for which there was no vaccine. In 1974, the family headed to Lagos, Nigeria with the opportunity to teach at the American International School in Lagos. After three years, Joel was hired as guidance counselor at the International School of Kenya. The family lived in Nairobi for four years.

Joel took his family back to Tacoma in 1981, where he continued as a school counselor. Still afflicted with the Travel Bug, Joel and Luci went back to the international school in Lagos in 1993, where Joel was counselor and Luci taught 2nd grade until 1997. He retired in 2002 after serving as a high school counselor in Tacoma Public Schools. Joel and Luci have been living on Anderson Island since 2013.

Joel enjoyed a variety of hobbies. We remember him most for his love of singing and listening to music. He was known for his beautiful tenor voice. He loved Africa and took his family on many safaris. He especially enjoyed bird watching. The Travel Bug was still very active after retirement, so Joel and Luci traveled to Europe, Asia, and South America.

He is survived by the love of his life Lucille and four children: Julie Janzen Shires (Paul Shires) of Arroyo Grande CA; Greg Janzen (Doris Acosta) Fox Island, WA; Jane Ellen Kramer (David Kramer) Grass Valley, CA; Emily Janzen Reimer (Troy Reimer) Lawrence Kansas. He is also survived by his brother Don Janzen (Irene) of Newton, Kansas, and Ruby Derksen (Carl) of La Canada, CA. His brother John Janzen (Shirley) preceded him in death. He took great joy in his 10 grandchildren: William Shirefley (Tess Shirefley), Addison Kramer, Adam Shires, Benjamin Reimer, Elliott Kramer (Sam Kramer), Jonathan Reimer, Greta Kramer, Griffin Janzen, Lucy Reimer, and Matthew Reimer.

Joel's last words were, "I have a song in my heart." A memorial service will be held on July 16, 2022.

Remembering Joel Dwight Janzen

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Joan Nelson Morris

Joan Nelson Morris

March 26, 1932 - October 6, 2021

Joan Morris, 89, passed away peacefully at her Brentwood home on Wednesday, October 6, 2021 after a long illness.

The daughter of Howard and Pauline Nelson, Joan moved from New Haven, Connecticut to Los Angeles as a child, and attended Westlake School and the University of Southern California. She worked briefly in the movie industry and as a schoolteacher before marrying her lifelong love, Thomas Joseph Morris. Joan was active in the Junior Charity League, The Nine O’Clock Players, and at St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church, first as a lector and then as a wedding coordinator. Joan loved to entertain, play bridge, paddle tennis and swim. Her greatest joy was traveling with her husband, especially to the Hawaiian Islands. Joan loved movies, musicals and dining out and discovering new restaurants with friends.

Pre-deceased by her husband, Thomas, Joan is survived by her son Thomas N. Morris, daughter-in-law Jill Myers, granddaughter Izzy, son Christopher J. Morris and daughter-in-law Teresa Morris.

Remembering Joan Nelson Morris

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

John Lewis Marman IV

John Lewis Marman IV

September 14, 1940 - October 5, 2021

John Lewis Marman IV, proud husband, father, granddad, former College of the Desert Athletic Director and Board Trustee, coach, educator, mentor, community leader and fundraiser, has passed away at the age of 81.

John Marman was born and raised in Sidney Montana, where his family started the F.T. Reynolds Co. grocery store chain. Known in his hometown as "Butch", he played the clarinet in the band, and was an accomplished high school athlete. John attended the University of Nebraska where, as a 6-foot' 1" 190-pound sophomore he played half-back in what is arguably called the greatest game in Husker history-, the 25-21 upset of Oklahoma in 1959 that ended the longest unbeaten streak in NCAA history- 74 consecutive games.

In Nebraska, John met his beautiful wife Madonna and went on to earn a master's degree at the University of Arizona. John and Madonna then settled in San Bernardino where he taught and coached at Pacific High School. In 1969, the couple moved to Palm Desert, where John became the track and field coach at College of the Desert. Two years later, Coach also became the football team's defensive back coordinator and in 1976 he was named as the school's second-ever COD Athletic Director.

As Athletic Director, Coach Marman launched the COD women's sports program, managed the summer recreation, pool and swim lesson program, and coached at least 10 different men's and women's teams before eventually taking the head football coach position, from 1982, taking the 0-10 Roadrunners to their first 1st Southern California Bowl conference title in 1986 against Golden West College, ending the season ranked 12th in the nation.

Coach retired as Athletic Director in 2002, going out with a bang! That final year he surprised no one by both sinking an impossible putt in one attempt, and swishing a half-court basketball shot on his first try during a halftime fundraiser, raising $20,000 for the College of the Desert Foundation.

After retirement, Coach could not walk away. He decided he wanted to play tennis for COD, so he enrolled in a full academic load, and joined the team, winning 80% of his doubles matches, and achieving a state ranking. Tennis Coach Guy Fritz remembers that during the conference tournament, Coach, then in his 60s, beat two college kids in back-to-back sets in 100-degree heat.

In 2006, Coach Marman was elected to the College of the Desert Board of Trustees, continuing his dedication to community service and education.

Coach led numerous community organizations and committees over the years, including: President, College of the Desert Faculty Senate; Board Chair and President COD Alumni Association; President, Palms to Pines Rotary Club; Recipient International Citation President Rotary Foundation; Board of Directors and President's Lifetime Circle member College of the Desert Foundation; Board of Directors Desert Special Olympics; Chair, College of the Desert Board of Trustees; Chair, Palm Desert Sister City Foundation; Chair, Riverside County Fair Board; Member, National Date Festival Board; Chair, Palm Desert United Way Fund Drive; Founder, Palm Desert Dance Festival; Founder, College of the Desert Shoot-Out Fundraiser; Vice Chair, Sister Cities Foundation; Co-Chair, Art/Cultural Education Committee; Board of Directors, Palm Desert Historical Society; Co-Chair with wife Madonna, Mini-Muster Fire Safety Education Program; Grand Marshall, Palm Desert Golf Cart Parade; Co-Chair, College of the Desert East Valley Alumni Committee; Board of Directors, Palm Desert Jaycees.

Coach was also instrumental in bringing national attention to College of the Desert by inviting events such as the "NFL's Fastest Man Competition", "Star Games" and the Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers training camps to the campus for 12 years during the 1980s'90s. He even slipped keys to the gym to Shaquille O'Neal so he could practice alone in the middle of the night while he was in town.

Coach was particularly proud to Chair the Palm Desert Parks and Recreation Commission during construction of the Civic Center Park, Recreation Center and Sports Complex. During this time, he championed a pedestrian bridge across the east side drainage culvert so students from nearby schools and neighborhoods were not forced to walk for miles on busy streets to reach the park. The City of Palm Desert recently named the bridge in his honor.


Coach Marman believed in the value of a College of the Desert education. All three of his children attended the College before going on to earn degrees at four-year universities in California. Coach's wife Madonna, who put nursing school on the back burner when they married so she could work to put him through graduate school, completed her R.N. degree at College of the Desert. The office of the College's Dean of Nursing is named in her honor, paid for with Coach's Board of Trustees salary.

John and Madonna loved traveling, playing tennis and hiking. They took hours of dance classes together, tore up the dance floor at Pappy and Harriet's, and tangoed their way through Brazil and Argentina. John was famous for his chili, his love for Willie Nelson and Tom Brady, and his grand dog Stewy!

John is preceded in death by Madonna Marman, his wife of 57 years. He is survived by their three children; daughters Sue (Suzi) Hanks (John); Danielle Scardino (John); son John Marman; and his pride and joy, 9-year-old grandson John Knox Marman, who by all indications has inherited his granddad's athletic prowess, and will be a basketball and football super stud!

Coach is also survived by his sister Anne Armstrong, as well as numerous cousins, nieces and nephews. He was also preceded in death by his parents, John and Vesta Marman, brothers Theodore and Kent, and sister Victoria.

While Coach was known for his INTENSITY on and off the field, he is also remembered for his mischievous sense of humor and lasting impact as a mentor, leader and father figure to his players, and his rule of no earrings or Mohawks on the field. He is remembered by many for his motivational mantra…" You Got to Want It!", and the dreaded punishment to run laps with the phrase, "Get on your horse!"

The Marman kids would like to thank Coach's many friends who supported him through his recent health challenges. We are especially thankful to his caregivers, Pat, Richard and Joey Hounsell at Britannia Lodge in Palm Desert. We are forever grateful for your love, compassionate care and incredible patience for the old G.O.A.T.

Remembering John Lewis Marman IV

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.



March 11, 1933 - September 30, 2021

The 36th mayor of Vancouver, British Columbia from 1993 to 2002, making him one of Vancouver's longest-serving mayors, Philip Owen died peacefully on Thursday, September 30, 2021, at the age of 88 from complications related to Parkinson’s disease, according to a family statement.

Owen was born and raised in Vancouver. He completed his education at Prince of Wales Secondary School and later New York University. In his late 20s, Owen started a textile business that later expanded to both Toronto and New York City. He became a director of the Vancouver Art Gallery, president of the Downtown Vancouver Association, chair of St. George’s School, and was involved with many other local organizations.

He entered civic politics in 1978 after being elected to the Vancouver Parks Board. In 1986 he became a member of the Vancouver City Council and served there for seven years.

Owen was elected Vancouver’s 36th mayor in November 1993 and was re-elected in 1996 and 1999, making him Vancouver’s longest-serving consecutive-term mayor.

During his nine years as mayor, the city's downtown residential population doubled from 40,000 to 80,000 and the residents enjoy a new vitality in a part of the city that continues to improve and is a model for North American cities. The city maintained a "Triple-A" credit rating as well as being rated the number one city in the world for quality of life by the William Mercer Study.

Under his leadership, the city also opened Library Square, a new downtown headquarters for the Vancouver Public Library which features an innovative architectural design by Moshe Safdie.

Owen was most noted, however, for his championing of drug policy reform.

After four years of research, Owen led the local and national debates to fight drug addiction problems in Canadian cities through a "Four Pillar Approach", a comprehensive program with provisions for prevention, treatment, enforcement, and harm reduction. An 85-page action plan was passed unanimously by Vancouver City Council in May 2001. This new policy had the support of over 80 percent of Vancouver's residents, as well as the Federation of Canadian Municipalities Big City Mayor's Caucus.

As a result of the Four Pillar Approach, Vancouver opened Insite, North America's first legal safe injection site for intravenous drug users, in 2003.


Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Frances Tarlton "Sissy" Farenthold

Frances Tarlton "Sissy" Farenthold

October 2, 1926 - September 26, 2021

Frances Tarlton "Sissy" Farenthold died peacefully at home in Houston, surrounded by family and loving caregivers, on September 26, 2021 after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. She was six days shy of her 95th birthday.

Sissy Farenthold was born in Corpus Christi, Texas on October 2, 1926. She was the daughter of Catherine "Catty" Bluntzer and Benjamin Dudley Tarlton Jr., an accomplished attorney and campaigner for social justice. Farenthold was heir to several of South Texas' prominent settler families. Throughout her life, she exhibited their spirit of determination, defiance and fortitude.

Sissy attended Corpus Christi High School, then graduated from The Hockaday School, Vassar College (at 19) and, in 1949, The University of Texas School of Law (at 22). The University of Texas Law library is named in honor of her grandfather, Benjamin Dudley Tarlton. At a time when a legal career was unusual for a woman, Sissy was the successor to her family's legacy of legal advocacy and progressive politics.

In 1950, Sissy married Georges Edward Farenthold, a Belgian-born immigrant, linguist, and Army Air Corps veteran of World War II. During the early years of her marriage, Sissy enjoyed a hiatus from her profession, giving birth to five children in five years. She couldn't resist the lure of the law for long, however, and in the early 1960s she accepted a series of appointments and jobs, serving on the Corpus Christi (Roman Catholic) Deanery and the Corpus Christi Human Relations Commission, and as director of Nueces County Legal Aid. She also fought a legal battle to protect unobstructed shoreline views in Corpus Christi, helping to establish the Organization for the Protection of an Unblemished Shoreline.

In 1968, Sissy was invited by a group of friends and local activists to run in the local Democratic primary for the Texas State Legislature. She triumphed; and that fall, Sissy was elected as the only woman in the 150-member Texas House of Representatives.

In the Texas House, Sissy's legislative priorities included civil rights, raising the spending cap for welfare recipients, and protecting Corpus Christi's bays and estuaries. She attributed these first two commitments to the needs she saw as a lawyer with Nueces County Legal Aid, where she mostly represented poor Mexican-American women. While in the legislature, Sissy successfully sponsored the Texas Equal Rights Amendment. She held a 100% voting record from the AFL-CIO Committee on Public Education (COPE).

Perhaps Sissy's biggest impact as a legislator came with her dogged pursuit of the investigation of the Sharpstown Scandal—a sordid collection of government corruption crimes by powerful Democrats. Her insistence on transparency and her fight against special interests ended the careers of many Texas politicians, including the Speaker of the House, Gus Mutscher.

In 1972, Sissy continued to pursue anti-corruption and many of her other priorities by running for governor. In the Democratic primary, she made it into a runoff, defeating incumbent Governor Preston Smith and Lt. Governor Ben Barnes. Eventually, she lost a close runoff election to the rancher and banker Dolph Briscoe, and in the meantime, became the national face of Texas progressives for more than a generation.
At the 1972 Democratic National Convention in Miami, where Sissy led the anti-war McGovern forces from Texas, she was tapped as a potential vice-presidential running mate for McGovern. Gloria Steinem nominated her from the floor, seconded by Fannie Lou Hamer and former U.S. Rep. Allard Lowenstein. Although Sissy came in second, she was the first woman whose nomination for that position had ever been brought to a floor vote. Perhaps it was this, and her outspokenness, that earned Sissy a place on Nixon's Enemies List—twice.

In 1973, Sissy became the first chair of the bipartisan National Women's Political Caucus, whose mission was to recruit women for public office. She made Houston her home base until, in 1976, she became the first woman president of Wells College (then a women's college, founded by Henry Wells of Wells Fargo fame) in Aurora, New York. Her presence is still felt on the campus, including at the Frances Tarlton Farenthold Athletic Wing that was built during her tenure.

When Sissy was at Wells, she and two friends created the bipartisan Public Leadership Education Network (PLEN) to encourage college-aged women to embark on lives of public service. The organization continues today.

In 1980, Sissy returned to Houston. The scope of her politics broadened, as she increasingly brought her attention to international activism. She joined the board of directors of the Helsinki Watch Committee, precursor of Human Rights Watch; and alongside her cousin Genevieve Vaughan, Sissy led protests against apartheid in South Africa and against nuclear proliferation. She helped organize the Peace Tent at the 1985 NGO Forum in Nairobi, held concurrently with the Third U.N. Conference for Women; and embarked upon peace and human rights missions throughout Central America, Asia, and the Middle East. She traveled to Rio de Janeiro for the worldwide Environmental Summit in June of 1992.

Sissy taught law at the Thurgood Marshall Law School at Texas Southern University, where her students included future U.S. Rep. Al Green; and at the University of Houston, where she taught one of the nation's first classes on sex-based discrimination.

Sissy proudly served as the chair of the board of the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington; and of the interfaith Rothko Chapel in Houston, "a sea of humanism," as she called it, with which she was involved for close to thirty years. She also served on the advisory board of the Bernard and Audre Rapoport Center for Human Rights and Justice at The University of Texas School of Law. Sissy had countless friends and collaborators around the world from her more than sixty years of activism, a number of whom established the Frances Tarlton "Sissy" Farenthold Endowed Lecture Series in Peace, Social Justice, and Human Rights, co-presented each year by the Rapoport Center and the Rothko Chapel.

In 2009, Sissy was the executive producer of Quest for Honor, a documentary that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. It was short-listed for an Academy Award for best documentary.
Sissy is preceded in death by sons James and Vincent. She is survived by her sister Genevieve Hearon, by three beloved children—George E. Farenthold II (Lisa Marsh Ryerson) of Washington, D.C., Benjamin Dudley Tarlton Farenthold, and Emilie Chevalier Farenthold of Houston—and by three grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and countless friends and admirers.
To her family and friends, Sissy was the personification of righteousness, compassion, and justice. She is irreplaceable.

Burial is private. A public, in-person memorial will be held at The University of Texas School of Law at a later date, depending upon public health conditions.

Remembering Frances Tarlton "Sissy" Farenthold

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Contact Us

Parkinson's Resource Organization
74785 Highway 111
Suite 208
Indian Wells, CA 92210

Local Phone
(760) 773-5628

Toll-Free Phone
(877) 775-4111

General Information


Like! Subscribe! Share!

Did you know that you can communicate with us through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and now Instagram?



Updated: August 16, 2017