The Memorial Wall

Trevor Oldroyd

Trevor Oldroyd

January 1, 1936 - April 7, 2024

A VETERAN of the Falklands War who was appointed as an Associate of the Royal Red Cross by Queen Elizabeth has died after a battle with Parkinson’s.

Trevor Oldroyd was born in Walton, however moved to Carlton at a young age and grew up on Wood Lane.

He joined the Royal Navy after a stint working at Wharncliffe Woodmoor 123 Colliery, serving in the medical branch as a registered general nurse, before eventually becoming a registered clinical nurse tutor.

During this time he served in hospitals in Malta, Mauritius and Plymouth, as well as the Royal Hospital Haslar in Gosport where he trained junior members and was responsible for the clinical training of members of the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Naval Nursing Service.

In the Falklands War he was part of a medical team mainly responsible for repatriating injured personnel, and following the war was posted to the Naval Board of Survey which decided on the future of injured and sick soldiers.

Many were unable to continue in the navy following their service, so Trevor helped them readjust to civilian life and make sure they had all the benefits and help available to them from their local services.

In the June 1985 Queen’s Birthday Honours List Trevor was appointed an Associate of the Royal Red Cross – he received his decoration at Buckingham Palace from Queen Elizabeth II.

He returned home to Carlton in 2002, where he lived with his wife Beryl till his death at 88 years old.

Beryl said: “His family – wife Beryl, son Trevor, daughter Tina and their families and his step daughters Vanessa and Ann – will miss him and have been overwhelmed by messages from current and ex Naval personnel remembering how he helped them during his service life.”

Remembering Trevor Oldroyd

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Dr. Paul James 'PJ' Kuhnmuench

Dr. Paul James 'PJ' Kuhnmuench

April 22, 1948 - April 6, 2024

Kuhnmuench, Dr. Paul "PJ" James Devoted physician, husband and father Paul James Kuhnmuench, 75, died peacefully on Saturday, April 6, after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. Paul was born on April 22, 1948, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Joan and Andrew Kuhnmuench. He grew up primarily in Lansing, Michigan. Paul received his BA degree from John Carroll University and MD from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He moved to Minnesota in 1974 to do his residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Minnesota. It was here that he met his wife, Toni Magnuson and they were married on August 2, 1975. Paul was passionate and committed to affordable quality care for seniors as a geriatric specialist in Maplewood, Minnesota throughout his career. Paul enjoyed spending time with his family, golfing, playing tennis, skiing, watching his children and grandchildren play sports and was a daily jogger for most of his life. Paul is survived by his wife Toni Magnuson, children Emily (Brian Walvatne) Kuhnmuench, Timothy (Shannon McLeland) Kuhnmuench and Stefanie (Alex Liu) Kuhnmuench, his adored grandchildren Otis, Selby and Hank Walvatne, Grace and Hazel Kuhnmuench and Willow Liu, as well as his ten siblings. 

Remembering Dr. Paul James 'PJ' Kuhnmuench

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Jeffrey William Edwards

Jeffrey William Edwards

April 7, 1942 - April 4, 2024

Jeff passed away peacefully in St Luke's Hospice, Plymouth, on Thursday 4th April following a battle with Parkinson's Disease and Dementia. He was surrounded by his loving family who will miss him dearly. Jeff was a loving husband, father and grandfather.

Remembering Jeffrey William Edwards

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Arthur Queen

Arthur Queen

January 1, 1941 - April 1, 2024

Arthur Queen, a longtime Baltimore-area funeral director and owner of two funeral homes, died of Parkinson’s disease April 1 at BridgingLife Dove House, a hospice facility in Westminster. He was 83.

Mr. Queen was born in Nutter Fort, West Virginia, to Minter A. Queen Sr., a pottery maker, and Bessie Mae Queen, a homemaker. He was the youngest of five children.

He started working at his uncle’s snack bar in Nutter Fort at the age of 9.

“He was always very busy,” said Wilma Brandenburg, his sister. “He always had a lot to do.”

As a teenager, he decided he wanted to become a funeral director. Mr. Queen would often accompany his father when he visited friends at various funeral homes in Clarksburg,  West Virginia.

“He said he always wanted to be a funeral director in high school,” his sister said. “Whenever they asked what do you want to be growing up, that’s what he would say.”

After graduating from the old Roosevelt Wilson High School in Clarksburg in 1958, he went to Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science, formerly known as Cincinnati School of Embalming.

Mr. Queen started in the funeral business over 60 years ago at Davis-Weaver Funeral Home in West Virginia when he was a teenager, his sister said.

In 1992, Mr. Queen purchased what is now Burrier-Queen Funeral Home and Crematory, P.A. in Winfield in Carroll County. Until he died, the Sykesville resident was involved with all aspects of the funeral home as owner, president, director and crematory operator. He also owned Loring Byers Funeral Directors in Randallstown.

Arthur Queen enjoyed woodworking and creating stained and fused glass.

“He was the epitome of a true funeral professional,” said Jim Covey, vice president of Burrier-Queen. “The community has lost one of a kind.”

He was a member of the former Liberty Exchange Club, a community service organization, Covey said.

Remembering Arthur Queen

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Thomas George Rocks

Thomas George Rocks

March 31, 1942 - April 1, 2024

Thomas George Rocks, 82, born in Waynesboro, Pennsylvania on March 31st, 1942, the son of the late Hugh N. and Margaret M. Rocks, died on April 1, 2024, in Portland, Oregon, from complications of Parkinson’s disease.

Tom (Dad, Poppa, Tommy, Uncle Tom, Dr. Rocks), a vibrant, creative lover of people and community, will be fondly remembered for his dedication to all he put his heart into, including but not limited to his immediate family and large extended family including surviving siblings, Hugh F. Rocks, M. Angela Rocks Shriver and especially his twin sister, Mary C. Rocks, nieces and nephews, his parishes, many educational institutions (particularly Pennsylvania State University where he earned his doctorate degree in Counselor Education), his clients, fellow music and theatre folks, and the greater Waynesboro community.

During the two decades he resided in Portland, Oregon, he was an active member of St. Pius X Catholic church and a volunteer for St. Vincent de Paul Society. Most notably he sang in the church choir and directed the Sweetheart Cabaret for several of those years.

He was a member of the Portland Symphonic Choir from 2009-2015 when his Parkinson’s symptoms no longer allowed him to sing. At that time, he transitioned into both leading and participating in many Parkinson’s Resource programs and events.

Through all 22 years, Tom was a very involved grandfather to Julia Katherine Connolly, Alexander William Connolly, and Fenn Thomas Connolly.

It would be impossible to enumerate the many organizations, activities and leadership roles Tom participated in during the 60 years prior to moving to Portland. Some highlights he will be remembered for are: St. Andrew’s Catholic Church member, his career with the Waynesboro Area School district where he was director of the All-school student and teacher theatrical productions. He was a committee leader of Waynesboro Summer Jubilee, a member of a barbershop quartet “Four the Good Times,” a weekly contributor of “Family Matters” column to the Record Herald newspaper and myriad more community service projects.

Tom approached all people with an open mind, open heart and open arms. He touched many with his empathic words and warm hugs. He often noted that “it’s not what you get from other people; it’s what you can give to them.”

Tom was preceded in death by his son Matthew Thomas, and his sisters Ellen Mary Rocks Fulton and Margaret Elizabeth Rocks Camilletti Bosold.

Remembering Thomas George Rocks

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Edward Nelson Smolar

Edward Nelson Smolar

January 1, 1944 - March 30, 2024

Doctor Edward Nelson Smolar, 80, died on March 30, 2024. The cause of his death relates to complications from Parkinson’s Disease. Dr. Smolar, born and raised in Brooklyn and a 44-year resident of Boca Raton, worked as a medical doctor for more than 50 years in New York City and South Florida, specializing in Endocrinology and Internal Medicine. After earning a Bachelor of Science in biological science, with honors, at Union College in 1964, Dr. Smolar completed a Doctor of Medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University in 1968. A true Renaissance man, he achieved a Master of Business Administration and a Master of Science from Nova Southeastern University in 1985 and 1990, respectively. Dr. Smolar was board-certified in internal medicine, endocrinology and metabolism, and geriatric medicine. He was also a chartered life underwriter, chartered financial consultant and a certified financial planner.

Dr. Smolar dedicated himself to a life of learning and serving others. Recognized in the medical community as a master diagnostician, Dr. Smolar – revered by his patients and colleagues as “the Midnight Cowboy” – was known for keeping late hours and taking as much time as needed with his patients, often at the expense of his schedule. Dr. Smolar served his country on behalf of the U.S Public Health Service as a surgeon between 1968 and 1971; honorably discharged with the rank of Lieutenant Commander. His research has been published in various medical journals; he was named by Research Council of America as one of America’s Top Doctors, and he has been cited in approximately 20 editions of Marquis Who’s Who, including Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, and Who’s Who in the World.

In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Smolar enjoyed teaching, including as an adjunct professor of medicine at the State University of New York, the University of Miami and Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine. His hobbies included studying history and competitive ballroom dancing.

Dr. Smolar is survived by his wife of 50 years, Sharon Smolar, his sons, Todd and Gregory, his daughters-in-law, Jennifer and Roben, and his grandchildren, Jocey, Joshua, Gabriel and Daniella.

Remembering Edward Nelson Smolar

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Christopher B. Nelson

Christopher B. Nelson

June 16, 1936 - March 28, 2024

BLUE HILL, MAINE—Christopher B. Nelson died on March 28, 2024, from advanced Parkinson’s disease.

Chris was born in Winchester, Mass., on June 16, 1936, the son of John and Kathleen Nelson. He grew up in Quincy and went on to earn a bachelor of science in electrical engineering from MIT in 1958. Young daughters of his family’s friends set him up with his future wife, Roberta “Bobbie” Martin. She was the love of his life, and they married in June of 1960.

Chris retired in 2001 after 36 years of service with the federal government, first at the Lexington Lab (HHS), and then with the newly established EPA in Washington, D.C. In its Department of Radiation Programming, he was an expert in modeling radioisotope transport and estimating radiation dose and risk from exposure. His work provided an important basis for EPA’s radiation protection regulations and their guidance to other agencies and the public. In addition to his own work, he was an integral part of Bobbie’s ministry, from co-writing curricula to teaching Sunday school.

In 2001 he and Bobbie built their dream home on the Bagaduce River. Chris volunteered at the Sedgwick Elementary School, tutoring students in math and listening to them read. He sang with the Bagaduce Chorale for many years and served as their treasurer for several years. He was an active participant in town meetings.

Chris enjoyed sailing, kayaking, traveling, reading and keeping up with the news. He and his wife were lifelong proponents of social justice.

In 2015 he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. As the disease progressed, he moved to Parker Ridge Assisted Living where he received wonderful care and support from the staff.

Chris was predeceased by his wife of 54 years and is survived by their daughters Heather of Surry, Maine, Jennifer of Portland, Maine, Joy and her husband John Saams of Gambrills, Md.; their three grandchildren: Jack Saams and his wife Margaret Zelenski, James Saams and his wife Franki Wilson, and Julia Saams of Md.; and his brother John Nelson and his wife Irene of Amherst, Mass. He was predeceased by his brothers Peter and Mark.

Remembering Christopher B. Nelson

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Donald N. Bersoff

Donald N. Bersoff

January 1, 1939 - March 26, 2024

Donald N. Bersoff, 85, of Philadelphia, law school professor emeritus at Villanova and Drexel Universities, groundbreaking lawyer and psychologist, author, consultant, mentor, volunteer, and veteran, died Tuesday, March 26, of complications from Parkinson’s disease at his home in Center City.

A renowned expert in criminal and mental health law, professional ethics in psychology, and how they interact, Dr. Bersoff was director of the innovative joint law and psychology program at Villanova and Hahnemann Universities from 1990 to 2001. He taught students, colleagues, and others how to navigate conflicts between law and psychology, and conducted pioneering research in the law’s overall application to all behavioral sciences.

He returned to the program in 2007, after Hahnemann merged with Drexel, as director of the graduate program in law and psychology at what is now Drexel’s Thomas R. Kline School of Law. He became a visiting professor in 2012.

Dr. Bersoff championed legal and mental health services for all, diversity in law and psychology graduate programs, and robust international collaboration among lawyers and psychologists. “He educated us all to the importance of the interaction of the two fields,” a former colleague said in an online tribute. “He contributed greatly to the field and moved it forward.“

A former student who became a colleague said in a tribute: “An entire generation of law-psychology scholars, researchers, and practitioners owes their professional lives to you.” His wife, Deborah Leavy, said: “He was brilliant.”

Earlier, from 1976 to 1986, Dr. Bersoff was coordinator of the joint law and psychology program at the University of Maryland School of Law and Johns Hopkins Department of Psychology. He was inspired to focus his attention on both law and psychology after seeing legal and ethical problems in unfair public school student placement policies while teaching psychology at Ohio State University and the University of Georgia in the 1970s.

So he earned his law degree at Yale University in 1976 and began investigating the intersection of law and psychology. He represented the rights of women, racial minorities, and people with intellectual disabilities as an appellant lawyer and partner at two Washington law firms in the 1980s, and was president, general counsel, and lifetime member of the American Psychological Association.

He also taught at Mansfield State University in north central Pennsylvania and held workshops at many schools across the country. Former students said he was their “shining star” and “father figure.”

He authored the best-selling textbook Ethical Conflicts in Psychology and contributed book chapters and more than 100 articles to scholarly journals. He also wrote or contributed to more than 50 briefs to the Supreme Court and other courts regarding privacy rights, women’s and adolescents’ reproductive rights, and other issues.

He was quoted often in The Inquirer and other publications, and appeared on CBS, CNN, NPR, and other TV outlets. He served on many boards, committees, commissions, and panels, and was active with the National Academy of Sciences, American Civil Liberties Union, and other groups.

He was a consultant, lecturer, and expert witness in court cases, and he won awards from the American Psychological Association, Pennsylvania Psychological Association, and other organizations. He also was a captain and clinical psychologist in the Air Force in Texas and the Philippines from 1965 to 1968. “He remains my role model,” a former student said.

Born March 1, 1939, in New York, Donald Neil Bersoff graduated from the prestigious Stuyvesant High School at 15 and went straight to nearby New York University. He earned a bachelor’s degree in English education in 1958, a master’s degree in educational psychology in 1960, and a doctorate in school psychology in 1965.

He married Janice Daniels, and they had son David and daughter Judith. They divorced, and he remarried, and then divorced.

He met Leavy at a party in Washington in 1987, and she thought he was handsome and funny. They married in 1988, and had son Benjamin, and lived in Washington, Haverford, Radnor, and Philadelphia.

Dr. Bersoff played tennis and golf, and enjoyed interesting conversation and watching sports and shows on TV. “He was thoughtful and gentle,” a friend said in an online tribute. Another said that he “was a good and kind person.”

Remembering Donald N. Bersoff

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Robert Moskowitz

Robert Moskowitz

January 1, 1935 - March 24, 2024

Robert Moskowitz, a painter who used the New York City skyline to stake out a unique position on the border of abstraction and representation, died on Sunday in Manhattan. He was 88.

His son, Erik Moskowitz, said the cause of death, at a hospital, was complications of Parkinson’s disease.

Mr. Moskowitz first came to broad notice with collagelike paintings in which he glued window shades to canvases that had been painted various shades of off-white. Some of these works, which evoke stripped-down Rauschenbergs, were exhibited in the 1961 Museum of Modern Art show “The Art of Assemblage.” He later made a series of similar collages with envelopes.

From the mid-1960s into the ’70s, after an interlude painting Surreal interiors, Mr. Moskowitz settled on views of empty corners, which again flirted with the limits of legibility — they were usually one color, sometimes even black on black.

He also experimented with shapes that were easily recognized but of ambiguous status, like a smiley face or a white swastika on a black background; made a pastel version of Piet Mondrian’s own very minimal “Red Mill,” as well as an oil paint version in black; riffed on Rodin, Giacometti and a 2,500-year-old fresco known as “Tomb of the Diver” in Paestum, Italy; and painted a peculiar view of the Wrigley Building in Chicago, inspired by a souvenir matchbook, in which the building’s two white towers seem to be falling through space.

Even at their most high-concept or severe, though, Mr. Moskowitz’s paintings were always more expressive than he let on. However flat and endless a given field of brown or yellow might be, the works were always constructed with vibrant brushwork and a kind of quiet glee at odds with his stark aesthetic. Mr. Moskowitz’s gallery, Peter Freeman, Inc., which had just begun to represent him and opened their first show with him shortly before he died, called him, in a statement, “a rare bridge between Abstract Expressionism and Minimalism.”

Beginning in the late 1970s, Mr. Moskowitz began painting the Empire State Building, the Flatiron Building and, most indelibly, the World Trade Center. Those three buildings appear over and over through the decades, in black on blue, lavender, orange, yellow or white; in white on black; surrounded by smudgy fingerprints or plumes of smoke; naked in fields of color; rendered in oil, ink, graphite or pastel.

They all had the shimmering, self-contained quality of letters or numbers. But the distinctive crenelated spire of the Empire State, at once ornament and monument, was impossible not to recognize. Two little bumps for cornices made the simple shape of the Flatiron equally unmistakable, while also adding a disorienting uncertainty to its scale.

It was in the imposing modernist stripes of the Twin Towers that Mr. Moskowitz found his great subject. Whether appearing as two black bars huddled in the corner of a modest sheet of drawing paper or rearing up as bold red dashes 10 feet high, the towers seemed to transcend the usual distinctions among genres of art, even among genres of mark making. (It’s worth noting that among drawings called “Flatiron” or “Empire State,” the Twin Towers pieces are invariably called just “Skyscraper.”) The towers were a specific architectural reference that didn’t look specific at all, a forceful abstract pattern with the subtlest of concessions to perspective, a taut graphic device that hit the eye like a logo — a logo for nothing but itself.

After the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, these works took on a darker resonance, and Mr. Moskowitz, whose TriBeCa loft was only a few blocks from the towers, regretfully moved on to other motifs.

“Now the images seem unbearably grim,” he told The San Antonio Express-News in 2007, when he showed some of his paintings in the San Antonio area. But, he added, “I was always happy when I was painting them.”

Robert Stephen Moskowitz was born on June 20, 1935, in Brooklyn to Louis Moskowitz, who owned two dry-cleaning shops, and Lily (Sandman) Moskowitz, who managed the home. His father left the family in 1948. His mother periodically disappeared, too, leaving Robert to look after his younger sister. He recalled constant financial insecurity and, starting in high school, taking various jobs, both part and full time, to make ends meet, like working at a Woolworth’s soda counter and selling socks.

He never considered college, but his older sister worked for an engineering firm and he had always liked drawing, so he attended the Mechanics Institute in Manhattan to learn to be a draftsman. In 1954, he got a job at Sperry Gyroscope in Lake Success, N.Y., the former site of the United Nations, on Long Island. Sperry paid for him to study graphic design at the Pratt Institute, where classes with the artists Robert Richenburg and Adolph Gottlieb changed the course of his life. Soon he was visiting museums, renting a studio and quitting his job.

In 1959, Mr. Moskowitz traveled to London, intending to continue on to Paris and stay there until his money ran out. Instead, he found a studio in a decrepit artists’ community north of London. There, he began making collages. One day, as the curator Ned Rifkin recounted in a catalog essay, Mr. Moskowitz noticed a window shade with “a lot of character and history.” He glued it to a canvas and painted over it.

After he returned to New York, he met and married the painter Hermine Ford, whose father, the painter Jack Tworkov, became a friend and supporter. In the mid-1970s, Mr. Moskowitz and Ms. Ford began traveling to Nova Scotia, where they joined a community of artists that included Joan Jonas, Philip Glass, Richard Serra and Robert Frank. They eventually bought a house and divided their time between the islands of Cape Breton and Manhattan.

In 1962, just after the MoMA assemblage show, Mr. Moskowitz had a sold-out solo exhibition with the influential dealer Leo Castelli — but Mr. Castelli didn’t like the direction Mr. Moskowitz’s work was taking, and they parted ways soon after.

Mr. Moskowitz received fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts and exhibited in biennials and at numerous museums, including the Whitney in New York, which included him in its influential 1978 show “New Image Painting,” and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, which mounted a retrospective in 1989 that traveled to MoMA.

In addition to his son, Erik, an artist and filmmaker who collaborates with his wife, Amanda Trager, Mr. Moskowitz is survived by his wife, Ms. Ford; and his sisters, Elaine and Karen Moskowitz.

During long periods when painting brought in no money, Mr. Moskowitz taught at the Maryland Institute College of Art, in Baltimore, and the Yale Norfolk School of Art, in Litchfield County, Conn.; assisted the photographer Walker Evans, who was a friend of Mr. Tworkov’s; stretched canvases for other artists; and took up other odd jobs.

For Mr. Moskowitz, the one consistent through line, in a career of drastic stylistic changes and unusually dramatic ups and downs, was his devotion to his artmaking.

“All he did was paint,” the sculptor John Newman, a longtime friend, said in a phone interview. “It’s all he wanted to do. And when he couldn’t paint, he drove a cab, so he could paint some more.”

Remembering Robert Moskowitz

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Vernor Vinge

Vernor Vinge

October 2, 1944 - March 20, 2024

Author David Brin announced that Vernor Vinge, sci-fi author, former professor, and father of the technological singularity concept, died from Parkinson's disease at age 79 on March 20, 2024, in La Jolla, California. The announcement came in a Facebook tribute where Brin wrote about Vinge's deep love for science and writing.

"A titan in the literary genre that explores a limitless range of potential destinies, Vernor enthralled millions with tales of plausible tomorrows, made all the more vivid by his polymath masteries of language, drama, characters, and the implications of science," wrote Brin in his post.

As a sci-fi author, Vinge won Hugo Awards for his novels A Fire Upon the Deep (1993), A Deepness in the Sky (2000), and Rainbows End (2007). He also won Hugos for novellas Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004). As Mike Glyer's File 770 blog notes, Vinge's novella True Names (1981) is frequency cited as the first presentation of an in-depth look at the concept of "cyberspace."

Vinge first coined the term "singularity" as related to technology in 1983, borrowed from the concept of a singularity in spacetime in physics. When discussing the creation of intelligences far greater than our own in an 1983 op-ed in OMNI magazine, Vinge wrote, "When this happens, human history will have reached a kind of singularity, an intellectual transition as impenetrable as the knotted space-time at the center of a black hole, and the world will pass far beyond our understanding."

In 1993, he expanded on the idea in an essay titled The Coming Technological Singularity: How to Survive in the Post-Human Era.

The singularity concept postulates that AI will soon become superintelligent, far surpassing humans in capability and bringing the human-dominated era to a close. While the concept of a tech singularity sometimes inspires negativity and fear, Vinge remained optimistic about humanity's technological future, as Brin notes in his tribute: "Accused by some of a grievous sin—that of 'optimism'—Vernor gave us peerless legends that often depicted human success at overcoming problems... those right in front of us... while posing new ones! New dilemmas that may lie just ahead of our myopic gaze. He would often ask: 'What if we succeed? Do you think that will be the end of it?'"

Vinge's concept heavily influenced futurist Ray Kurzweil, who has written about the singularity several times at length in books such as The Singularity Is Near in 2005. In a 2005 interview with the Center for Responsible Nanotechnology website, Kurzweil said, "Vernor Vinge has had some really key insights into the singularity very early on. There were others, such as John Von Neuman, who talked about a singular event occurring, because he had the idea of technological acceleration and singularity half a century ago. But it was simply a casual comment, and Vinge worked out some of the key ideas."

Kurzweil's works, in turn, have been influential to employees of AI companies such as OpenAI, who are actively working to bring superintelligent AI into reality. There is currently a great deal of debate over whether the approach of scaling large language models with more compute will lead to superintelligence over time, but the sci-fi influence looms large over this generation's AI researchers.

British magazine New Worlds published Vinge's first short story, Apartness, in 1965. He studied computer science and received a PhD in 1971. Vinge was also a retired professor of computer science at San Diego State University, where he taught between 1972 and 2000.

Brin reports that, near the end of his life, Vinge had been under care for years for progressive Parkinson's disease "at a very nice place overlooking the Pacific in La Jolla." According to Vinge's fellow San Diego State professor John Carroll, "his decline had steepened since November, but [he] was relatively comfortable."

Remembering Vernor Vinge

Use the form below to make your memorial contribution. PRO will send a handwritten card to the family with your tribute or message included. The information you provide enables us to apply your remembrance gift exactly as you wish.

Contact Us

Parkinson's Resource Organization
74785 Highway 111
Suite 208
Indian Wells, CA 92210

Local Phone
(760) 773-5628

Toll-Free Phone
(877) 775-4111

General Information


Like! Subscribe! Share!

Did you know that you can communicate with us through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and now Instagram?



Updated: August 16, 2017