Free Specialized Phones Make It Easier to Hear, Dial, and Call.
- More than 90 specialized phones and devices for people with diminished hearing, mobility, vision, motor control, speech, and Parkinson’s-related conditions are available at no cost from the state’s California Telephone Access Program (CTAP), a part of the California Public Utilities Commission’s Deaf and Disabled Telecommunications Program (DDTP).
- This Free Program is a vital service—keeping people connected with family, friends, caregivers, business associates, and others. Applying for a California Phone is easy. Just ask your doctor to certify your disability by signing a simple application form, submit your application, then choose to have your new equipment delivered, or stop by your nearest Service Center
- California Phones have many features, such as speakerphones for hands-free operation. These phones are from top manufacturers and have all been tested by our equipment advisory board.
- Through the California Relay Service (CRS) and Speech-to-Speech (STS), the DDTP also provides free-of-charge assistance for those whose speech is difficult to understand over the telephone. By dialing 7-1-1, a Communications Assistant (CA) assists the caller with a speech impairment in successfully managing a call. For more information, visit www.ddtp.org and look for “Relay Calls” in the menu bar.
- Learn more about the Equipment Program by calling 1-800-333-7900 or visit www.CaliforniaPhones.org. If you need help getting certified, just ask a customer service representative. There is no cost, age, or income requirement for this state program, so there is no reason not to stay connected.
Products and/or Services Available
- Voice-Amplified Phones
- Phones for Tremors
- Memory-Dial Phones